Juan Pablo currently works as an associate at Coronel & Pérez. He has dedicated his career to litigating in civil, commercial, family matters and issues related to public administration, among others; and has provided advice on matters related to public procurement.
In 2011 he participated as a legal advisor and manager in the execution of the "Project for the Modernization of Justice" in Ecuador; and from the beginning of the second quarter of 2013, Juan Pablo was part of the legal team in charge of the execution of the “Project for the Modernization of the Civil Registry at the national level”. One of the main modernization tasks in the legal aspect of this last project was the drafting of the Civil Identity and Data Management Law that was delivered to the National Assembly and subsequently approved.
Between February 2017 and August 2019, Juan Pablo served as Public Defender in the Provincial Public Defender of Guayas.
Juan Pablo Álava’s experience includes, among other matters, the following:
Procedural Law applied to different subjects:
- Participating in work sessions related to the General Organic Code of Processes project.
- Representing the Judicial Council in litigation matters related to the disciplinary regime of judges.
- Participating as a lawyer in the judicial defense of the national Civil Registry on issues related to public procurement, full jurisdiction and subjective resources.
- Participating as Public Defender and as representative of the Civil Registry before the Electoral Contentious Court (Tribunal Contencioso Electoral).
- Sponsoring as Public Defender in different cases of a social nature related to property law, family law and constitutional law, among others.
- Providing specialized advice to public entities such as the Judiciary Council and the National Civil Registry on public procurement.
- Participating in internal audit examinations carried out by the General Comptroller of the State on administrative management and public contracts.
- Collaborating in the closing and liquidation of public contracts financed by the Inter-American Development Bank.
- Intervening as an advisor in the pre-contractual, contractual and execution stages in public procurement.
- Joining the team for the development of the Draft Regulation of Disciplinary Regime of the Council of the Judiciary.
- Joining the team for the development of the Draft Regulation of Coercion of the Council of the Judiciary.
- Advising in the preparation of the Draft Organic Law on the Management of Identity and Civil Data and its Regulations.
- Collaborating in the development of public procurement manuals for public entities.
- Advising in the preparation of Organic Statutes and Management by Processes of public entities.
- Intervening in the development of operational instructions of an administrative nature.
- Public Defender in Guayaquil; Public Defender of Guayas (2016-2019).
- Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil; Guest Teacher (2015 to present).
- General Directorate of Civil Registry, Identification and Cedulation; General Coordinator of Legal Advice (2013-2016).
- Council of the Transitional Judiciary; Legal Advisor to the Member of the Judiciary Council (2011-2013).
- Ortega Moreira & Ortega Trujillo Law Firm; Legal assistant (2009-2011).
- Vidal & Wright Law Firm; Legal assistant (2009).
- Municipality of Guayaquil, Department of Land; Legal Assistant (2007-2009).
- Defensoría del Pueblo; Legal Assistant (2006-2007).
- Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil; Master in Procedural Law (2013).
- Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil; Attorney with a minor in Civil Law (2011).
- "50 best averages", awarded by the Faculty of Jurisprudence and Social Sciences of the Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil from semester A 2006 to B 2010.
- Gold Diplomas awarded by the Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil in recognition of academic merits from semester A 2007 to A 2010.