César Coronel Jones
Is a founding partner of Coronel & Pérez. His practice focuses on complex domestic and international disputes, as well as in corporate matters, among other areas. He is an arbitrator for the International Chamber of Commerce, and other arbitral centers. He has been member of the ICC Arbitration Court and President of the Arbitration Center of the Guayaquil Chamber of Commerce, Alternate Director for Ecuador at the Inter-American Development Bank, and Dean of the Law School and Professor of Civil Law at the Catholic University of Guayaquil. Currently, he is President of the Ecuadorian Academy of Corporate Law.
Arbitration & Litigation
- Counsel of BASF Aktiengesselshaft, multinational pharmaceutical, before Ecuadorian courts, and expert witness in connection with a class action filed before US courts, and more than 30 related claims in Ecuador for alleged environmental and civil damages of more than one billion dollars.
- Counsel to a multinational company, manufacturer of consumer goods, in an unfair competition claim of several millions of dollars, filed by a competitor company.
- Counsel to Ambev, multinational beverage company, in an intellectual property claim of several millions of dollars.
- Counsel to Aztra, a sugar mill company, in a breach of contract litigation for several million dollars.
- Counsel to an agricultural goods company in a series of labor, contractual and administrative disputes and in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Counsel to Ecuavisa, a television network, in a breach of contract litigation in relation to sports broadcasting rights.
- Counsel to Oleoducto de Crudos Pesados, oil company, in several tax litigations against the Ecuadorian tax authorities, in connection with claims worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Expert witness on Ecuadorian law in an arbitration between Chevron and the Ecuadorian Government for more than 18 billion dollars.
- Expert witness on Ecuadorian law in an arbitration between Texaco and the Ecuadorian Government for more than 100 million dollars.
- Lead counsel in an ICC commercial arbitration worth several million dollars between a Florida bank and a New York-based investment fund regarding the breach of a creditor bankruptcy agreement.
- Counsel in an ICSID arbitration between Duke Energy and the Ecuadorian Government.
- Advisor to International Water Services, the company that held a water services concession in a commercial arbitration against the government regulator regarding service tariffs.
- Lead counsel in an arbitration between a real estate promoter and an international religious corporation for breach of contract, and in the subsequent award annulment proceedings.
- Arbitrator in commercial disputes before the ICC, Arbitration Centre of the Guayaquil Chamber of Commerce, Amcham Arbitration Centre and CIAM.
Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions
- Counsel for several years to Holcim, a multinational cement company with investments in Ecuador.
- Counsel for several years to a multinational beverage company.
- Counsel and advisor to the Board of Directors of the Ecuadorian branch of Owens-Illinois, Cridesa, the multinational glass manufacturer.
- Counsel for several years to Royal Dutch/Shell regarding its operations in Ecuador.
- External counsel for several years to a fishing multinational company.
- Counsel for the company holding the concession for public water and sanitation services in Guayaquil.
- Counsel to several construction and infrastructure companies.